Live Istria is more than just a lifestyle magazine, for people dreaming of escaping the rat race and living in the sun. It’s also a useful ‘how-to’ guide, based on seven year’s experience of living in Istria. Some pieces stand-alone, while other larger topics have a number of items posted as a series. Also, some tales of our experiences are sagas in their own right, with the entire story running over several episodes. If you can, start them at the beginning – they’re a better read that way!
Written for you … so how am I doing?
I hope Live Istria will have something for anyone interested in Istria or living abroad, and you can help me make sure there is something here for you. Perhaps you:
- Are thinking of moving abroad – and not just to Croatia
- Already live here and would like to know more about the area you live in
- Own a holiday home or a boat, or are thinking of buying abroad
- Are thinking of coming on holiday here, or, having visited, want to keep the holiday feeling going when you’re home
- Have a Croatian business, or are thinking about starting one
- Want to know more about expat life in and around the Med
- Have family ties to Croatia and want to keep in touch with the ‘old’ country
Don’t see yourself there? Then I want to hear from you!
Let me know what you love and what you hate; what you are interested in and want to know more about, and what you wish I’d shut up about; what’s missing and … whatever. Using your feedback, I’ll do my best to tailor this webzine to meet your needs and make it a damn good read. Yes I know that sounds like marketing blurb, but this is a very personal project for me and I want you to find it genuinely interesting and useful. I don’t want to waste my time researching and writing things of no interest to anyone (I’ve better things to do – reading a book in the sun, for example).
So please get in touch using one of the comment boxes at the end of each article or at the bottom of this page and I will get back to you.
You can use LiveIstria too
I’m always looking for a good story for LiveIstria, so please:
- Share your tale: If you’ve got an Istrian story or a Yugoslavia tale, let me know and I’ll write it up for you. Share your stories with me and I’ll bring them to the world.
- Ask your question: I’m here on the ground, so let me find the answers to your Istrian questions.
- Promote yourself: Advertise with us, we’ve a large readership of foreigners interested in Istria.
I know there isn’t a lot on the site yet, but we only launched at the end of August 2011. Over the next few weeks and months, I will be expanding LiveIstria dramatically – there’s a lot in the pipeline. Keep visiting and you’ll find lots of new things. Simpler still, follow me on Twitter (see sidebar) or sign up for my weekly e-mail update (see below) and I’ll keep you posted about what’s new.
Next up, there’ll be more on the property story-lines I’ve started:
And after that:
- Read more about the garden and our lives – my blog will roll on
- We’ll look at residency permits, in theory and practice
- I’ll introduce you to some real Istrians
- We’ll leave dry land, to delve into some boating issues
- You’ll see restaurant and activity reviews start to appear
- I’m also going fig-picking and making aijver (what’s that? come back and find out!) so look out for even more delicious recipes
- And there’ll even be articles from other contributors!
And that’s just the beginning.
I’m still learning
I want Live Istria to look and behave perfectly. Unfortunately it doesn’t – yet! I’m a writer, not a web designer and getting this far with web design has been a steep learning curve. I’m still learning and trying to fix things, but this takes time. For example, I know there are some formatting errors – and Croatian ‘c’s with an accent don’t appear (e.g. on Porec). The software will accept š and ž but not a ‘c’ with an accent – don’t know why. I’m also working on the hovers to see why they don’t accept the ‘&’ in abbrevaiations of couple’s names, eg S&S. At the moment, I have to use ‘n’, hence SnS. These, I hope, are just small niggles, I’ll try and get them sorted. For now please bear with me and read past the imperfections.
Make following Live Istria easy: sign up and I’ll send you a weekly e-mail letting you know what’s new. I’m going to be adding a proper ‘subscribe’ function (once I’ve worked out how RSS feeds and so on work), but for now please use the comment box at the end of this page, saying ‘Weekly update’ and I’ll add you to the mailing list.
To stop getting these e-mails, simply reply to the e-mail I send you, putting ‘unsubscribe’ in the subject line and I’ll take you off the mailing list.
Also, for a more personal touch, follow LiveIstria on Twitter using the Twitter button in the sidebar.